Thursday, April 2, 2009

Buses, Trains & Aeroplanes

Tuesday was an incredibly long day. It was lengthened by the fact that we flew east, across the international dateline, back in time and back to the USA. In some ways it is nice to be back where the street signs can be deciphered (by me anyway) and things are familiar. However, I do miss the excitement of Taipei and the mystery of not being able to understand most of what transpired around me. I do not miss not being able to brush my teeth without bottled water.

The day started early, at the Westin Taipei, where we drove in a hired car to the airport (mode of transport MOT #1). From Taipei we flew to Tokyo on a Boeing 757 (MOT #2). After bidding adieu to my parents I flew to Seattle, anticipating heading home to Anchorage. However, on my transpacific flight, I began to ponder the reality that I might be able to extend my trip a little longer and see my family in Vancouver, WA. Upon arrival in Seattle, I scooted through customs, rode the underground subway system (MOT #3) and easily changed my ticket, taking advantage of the scores of Mt. Redoubt stranded travelers anxious to get on a plane to Anchorage.

Now my only problem was that I was in Seattle, my luggage was on a plane to Anchorage, and my relatives were 200 miles south in Vancouver. So I arranged to have my bags sent to Portland (very quickly delivered by Alaska Air yesterday morning), and hopped on a bus to Tacoma (MOT #4). From Tacoma I caught the southbound Amtrak to Vancouver (MOT #5) and happened to meet up with Andy's cousin on the train. I think she must have thought me mentally challenged, as by this point I was about 23 hours into my day without a wink of sleep. After a much delayed, and painful train ride (my head was throbbing) I finally arrived in Vancouver, Washington, where my Aunt picked me up (MOT #6) and drove me to her home. Whew, what a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment