Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mad Dog

Yesterday, I made my first ice ascent. Somehow, I had managed to make it through almost eight months of working at AMH without swinging an ice tool. Some of the guys at work decided that this needed changing. So we headed out to Eklutna Canyon at 7:30pm after we all got off work and got in a few laps on Mad Dog. It really is amazing how long it stays light in Anchorage now.

As this was not only my first ice climb, but also my first time wearing crampons, it was a bit of a learning experience. Fortunately, my "guide", Jason was very patient and helped me along from square one. After I finally got geared up, the first part of the climb was to rappel down into the canyon. This was not really all that bad-- once Jason got me peeled off the tree I was clinging to that is, and sent me down over the edge. Cramponing around proved to be a more natural activity than I had thought, and that first rappel 90 feet down to the starting point helped to ease my nerves.

We met Clint, Danielle, and Seth at the bottom, as Seth had led up and set up their top rope. Jason sent me up first, which was good to just get after it. With a little instruction, I found hooking my tools and kicking in to the ice to be fairly intuitive. I climbed up the pillar, which was extremely thin, saying a little prayer that it would not give way, and started to get in the swing of things (pun intended). The bottom of the route was like standing in a cold shower, and I was absolutely drenched by the time I reached the top. Thank goodness we all have these fancy pro-shell arc'teryx jackets. I descended, giddy with my new found success and ice climbing prowess. While I was climbing, Galen, Cody and his girlfriend Jessica had arrived to climb the route. I only climbed once, as it was quickly getting dark, and we packed up and drove home after 10pm. Now I am looking forward to my next foray on ice.



Cody takes on Mad Dog.


Was it wet up there?


Me with my patient instructor, Jason.


Galen, climbing in fading daylight.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your pixs and commentary. Glad you had a fun time on the ice/Mad Dog!

    ReplyDelete